As the largest network of women’s funds and gender justice funders in the world, we condemn President Putin’s violent, premeditated, and unprovoked invasion of Ukraine. We call for an end to Russia’s military aggression, as well as continued economic sanctions against Russia and humanitarian aid to the people in and of Ukraine.
Though the situation is evolving and complex, here’s what is straightforward: our belief that Ukrainians, and all people, have a right to safety, freedom, and self-determination. Ukraine has made great progress towards democratization since the fall of the Soviet Union. It has genuine political competition, freedom of the press and assembly, and an active civil society that has successfully stopped all attempts to consolidate authoritarianism.
As a global alliance informed by intersectional feminism, we know that women, children, LGBT+, and other marginalized communities are often particularly vulnerable during armed conflicts. Notably, women are at heightened risk for gender-based violence. We are also disheartened by reports that some Africans attempting to flee Ukraine are experiencing refugee discrimination. Xenophobia, racism, and discrimination have no place in crisis response efforts.
We recognize our collective humanity, our right to safe asylum, and the inherent dignity of all people, regardless of race, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, and other factors.
As gender equity funders, we use our collective power, voice, and influence to stand together in solidarity with Ukraine and to universally condemn violence. We stand with all gender justice funders and ally organizations as we continue our fight for liberation and justice for all.
We ask you to:
- Donate to the vital organizations doing work on the ground.
- WFN Member, The Urgent Action Fund, has created a rapid response fund for Ukraine committed to supporting women, trans, and nonbinary activists on the ground in and surrounding Ukraine by providing flexible funding and security support.
- WFN Member, Global Fund for Women, has created a donation portal to support feminist crisis response in Ukraine and beyond.
- WFN Member, Direct Donor Action Fund, has created an emergency fund for the people of Ukraine in collaboration with the Marta Centre, an NGO in Latvia that provides psychosocial, and legal support to victims of violence and human trafficking.
- WFN Member, The International Women’s Convocation (IWC), has started a fundraising campaign for immediate humanitarian aid in Romania through a local partner organization.
- Prospera International Network of Women’s Funds is supporting feminist movement in Ukraine, Poland, and Bulgaria and identifies key local organizations for rapid response funding.
- The Mukwege Foundation has been working with Ukrainian survivors of conflict-based sexual violence since 2014. You can donate to their Ukraine appeal here.
- The UN’s Ukraine Appeal has a focus on helping women and girls affected by the war. You can donate here.
- This living resource is for funders wanting to respond to Ukraine compiled by Gender Funders Co-lab, EDGE Funders, and Ariadne: Responding to Ukraine: Info for Funders.
- The United Philanthropy Forum has compiled key philanthropic resources to benefit Ukraine.
- OutRight International launched a Ukraine Fund the day after the invasion of Ukraine and have distributed 20+ grants so far to LGBTIQ+ groups in Ukraine and neighboring countries.
- Share information.
- WFN Member, Global Fund for Women, has released a statement that identifies crucial local organizations supporting queer, disabled, youth, and Roma communities in Ukraine.
- Prospera has released a statement that calls on governments, the philanthropic community, International NGOs and individuals to direct funding immediately in response to the needs of women, children and marginalized groups that are seeking safety in neighboring countries.
- Amplify leaders calling to #StoptheWar.
- Sign your name to our statement of solidarity below,
- Retweet this thread from @GlobalFundforWomen, and
- Join the collective call on your own channels :#FundWomensFunds #SolidaritywithUkraine
As women’s funds, foundations, and gender justice funders and allies, we vow to work with all who envision a world free from the social systems and environments that perpetuate hostility and hatred.
In times of crisis, we stand together. Join us by signing your name below.
Women’s Funding Network
President & CEO
Join us below
In solidarity, signed:
- Elizabeth Barajas-Román, President & CEO, Women’s Funding Network
- Kate Kroeger, Executive Director, Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights
- Sarah Haacke Byrd, Executive Director, Women Moving Millions
- Jessica Neuwirth, Founder, Direct Donor Action
- Katrin Wilde, Executive Director, Channel Foundation
- Zsófia Sztranyiczki, PhD, Executive Director, International Women’s Convocation
- Jane Sloane, Senior Director, Women’s Empowerment and Gender Equality, The Asia Foundation
- Tine Ward, Founder and CEO, Rockflower Partners Inc.
- Anna Beth Gorman, Executive Director, Women’s Foundation of Arkansas
- Julie Keller, Executive Director, Women’s Fund for the Fox Valley Region
- Verónica Colón-Rosario, Executive Director, Puerto Rico Women’s Foundation
- Meg Smith, Director, Vermont Women’s Fund
- Louise Davis, President, PRBB Foundation
- Sharon LaRue, Executive Director, KY Foundation for Women
- Lauren Y. Casteel, President & CEO, The Women’s Foundation of Colorado
- Sheri Scavone, CEO, WNY Women’s Foundation
- Miloney Thakrar, Founder & Principal, Mind the Gender Gap, Inc.
- Tanna Clews, CEO, New Hampshire Women’s Foundation
- Kelley Griesmer, President and CEO, Women’s Fund of Central Ohio
- My Lo Cook, Executive Director, Shadhika
- Ruby Bright, President & CEO, Women’s Foundation for a Greater Memphis
- Leela Bilmes Goldstein, PhD, Executive Director, Women’s Fund of Hawai‘i
- Felicia Davis Blakley, President and CEO, Chicago Foundation for Women
- Ana Oliveira, President & CEO, The NY Women’s Foundation
- Nicole Baran, Executive Director, Peggy and Jack Baskin Foundation
- Dr. Mary Osbakken MD, PhD, President, Osbakken Consulting, LLC
- Marya Meyer, Executive Director, The Women’s Fund Miami-Dade
- Viviana Alvarado Pacheco, Senior Research Associate, The Women’s Fund Miami-Dade
- Lisa Attonito, Executive Director, Women’s Fund of Greater Milwaukee
- Carmen Randolph, Founding President & CEO, Women’s Foundation of the South
- Emily Weltman M. Ed., Founder and Principal Consultant, Collective Flow Consulting
- Gay Browne, CEO & Founder, The Green Media Group
- Jess Tomlin, Co-CEO, Equality Fund
- Jo Giles, Executive Director, Women’s Fund of Omaha
- Sarah Lynne McMahon, Retired
- Makenzie Lennington, Assistant Director of Operations, Women’s Fund SouthCoast
- Ezaie Muhindo Mbumba, Internationales Coordonnateur, Organisation Paysanne Pour le Développement Durable
- Denise Raquel Dunning PhD, Founder & Executive, Director Rise Up