Millions Give Back: Organizational Framework
Collectively, we have drafted the foundational contours of our organization and our movement as follows:
We envision a global movement that successfully inspires a critical mass of global women of African descent to fund and support the health, safety, economic, and social development of their sisters worldwide.
Our mission is to create long-term systemic change for Black women, their families, and their communities by harnessing the power of a global movement and designing innovative structures that ensure Black women’s authentic voice within women’s philanthropy worldwide.
MBG seeks to:
(1) Identify, engage and record Black philanthropic giving. (Phase 1)
(2) Expand the knowledge of research institutions in philanthropy on Black philanthropic giving. (Phase 1 and 2)
(3) Educate Black philanthropists as well as organizations and institutions that are led by Black women, girls, their families and communities on transformative, social change giving. (Phase 2)
(4) Educate the field at large on Black philanthropy to increase its visibility. (Phase 2 and 3)
(5) Demonstrate that Black women’s collective power and giving can effectively advance the important core issues affecting Black women and the Black community. (Phase 1-4)
(6) Develop the vehicle of WFN member funds as an effective distribution conduit for high-level, high-impact, social change giving. (Phase 2)
(7) Increase the amount, influence and impact of Black women within mainstream philanthropy, including within the Women’s Funding Network member fund communities. (Phase 3)
(8) Increase funds that are strategically given, by Black women (and allies), to support social change that positively impacts the lives of Black women and their families. (Phase 4)
(9) Increase funds available to organizations and institutions that are led by Black women, girls, their families and communities. (Phase 4)
MGB Campaign Phases
The scope of MGB is ambitious, with a long-range vision that encompasses more than just fundraising. MGB is not only a fundraising campaign. It is a vehicle to educate, build Black women’s leadership and the Black women’s social justice movement, as well as raise awareness and consciousness around Black giving. MGB is a holistic campaign, modeling itself after both the complexity and simplicity of Black giving itself.
The simple truth that MGB demonstrates is that Black people give with their hearts, hands, soul, and their means. The MGB campaign will expose the positive and true value of Black philanthropy. It will transform the misperception of the absence of Black philanthropy held by both the Black community and mainstream philanthropy. It will make visible what was once invisible and highlight the value of that which has never been fully recognized.
The campaign will be divided into four phases, each compries of three main compnents, designed to build a foundation for the campaign's success.
Phase 1 - Laying the Groundwork
Phase 2 - Education and Recruitment
Phase 3 - Movement Building
Phase 4 - Fundraising Campaign
Each woman who chooses to serve as a member of MGB corps of catalysts by contributing to the first $1 million to fund Phase 1 activities and establish the campaign’s high-profile international imprimatur will be recognized as a founding donor and will receive benefits and public recognition commensurate with such giving. As Black women living in the Americas, Africa, and across the Diaspora, we know that we have the expertise, creativity, money, and power to create Black women-led and Black women funded solutions to the challenges facing our communities. Please join us! Contact Shauné Zunzanyika for more information via e-mail or at (415) 441-0706.
We are sponsored in part by:
Women's Funding Network: As a global network and a movement for social justice, Women's Funding Network accelerates women's leadership and invests in solving critical social issues -- from poverty to global security -- by bringing together the financial power, influence and voices of women's funds.
Global Fund for Women: The Global Fund for Women is an international network of women and men committed to a world of equality and social justice. We advocate for and defend women's human rights by making grants to support women's groups around the world.